One of my favorites and one that I am pretty familiar with. Only problem is this Tatuaje Cabaiguan has some crazy imperfections!
[singlepic id=86 w=320 h=240 float=]
Review – Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Robusto Extra:
- Acquired: Purchased @ B&M
- Store: Tampa Humidor – Tampa
- Date: 1/19/2010
- Price: $8.70
- Brand: Tatuaje
- Series: Cabaiguan Guapos RX (Robusto Extra)
- Shape: Robusto
- Wrapper: Dark Natural Connecticut Broadleaf
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Filler: Nicaragua
- Length: 5 1/4″
- Ring Gauge: 50
- Wrapper: Nicaraguan (Natural)
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Appearance Notes:
The appearance of this Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX is a bit rougher than I like but that’s what I get for being in a hurry at the shop. The Cabaiguan Maduro RX has some tooth with a big vein running through the full length of the cigar. With only a light sheen and the José Pepin Garcia triple cap. There is a small scrap of tobacco at the bottom almost looking like a repair but could be just a scrap. Personally I think the shade is amazing especially when you think Connecticut wrapper. I am starting to get into the flavors of the broadleaf overall and may search some shops for others out there (I also liked the Patel Bros. which is a Pennsylvania broadleaf). When checking the firmness of the cigar I found no soft or spongy spots it had a consistent firmness throughout the stick.
So I wanted to try the whole toast then cut then light since with past Cabaiguan Maduros they have had a nearly perfect draw. So grabbing my Firebird cutter and AB Burner I headed out to the porch to give it a go. It ended up being a pretty good experience, I toasted and once it was glowing red I gave it a nice snip and took my first puff. The draw was exactly what I expected, nearly perfect with a slight drag. There was a ton of smoke which is right where I like it.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Notes / Flavors:
- This smoke had some great flavors with a nice sweetness, cream some grassy notes and finally some toasted earth.
- From there the second third continued till the end of the cigar with some sweet, creamy notes and a bite of toasted earth.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Ash Info:
- Overall the ash was a light yellowish-gray with dark gray waves with a slight flowering.
- I ended up cracking the first ash off at two inches.
- The second ash I cracked off at around two and one half inches.
- After that I smoked it to the end.
The burn was a little wavier than past Cabaiguans I have smoked but it didn’t really affect the flavors of the cigar. The balance was nearly perfect with some good complexity. I would have to say this is a medium bodied smoke with some great flavors coming from the wrapper. Toward the last inch it got a little too hot to hold and I ended up letting it burn out.
Now while this cigar could be a little cheaper IMO it is still a good buy and is worth grabbing a stick or two to try. This is the type of smoke I would have no problem buy a box of. It would be a great every day smoke and would disappear from my humidor very quickly.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Additional Info:
- Weather: Sunny
- Temperature: 67 degrees
- Humidity: 38%
- Start Time: 4:15 PM
- End Time: 5:00 PM
- Relights: 0
- Nicotine Levels: Barely Noticeable
- Impurity Buildup: Low Toward The End
- Buzz: Medium High