Filed Under (Cigar Reviews, Todays Pick) by David on Saturday, February 20th, 2010
Tagged Under : binder, Cabaiguan, cigar, connecticut broadleaf, connecticut wrapper, firebird, firmness, flavors, full length, imperfections, Maduro, one of my favorites, pepin, ring gauge, rx, sheen, sweetness, tampa humidor, Tatuaje
One of my favorites and one that I am pretty familiar with. Only problem is this Tatuaje Cabaiguan has some crazy imperfections!
[singlepic id=86 w=320 h=240 float=]
Review – Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Robusto Extra:
- Acquired: Purchased @ B&M
- Store: Tampa Humidor – Tampa
- Date: 1/19/2010
- Price: $8.70
- Brand: Tatuaje
- Series: Cabaiguan Guapos RX (Robusto Extra)
- Shape: Robusto
- Wrapper: Dark Natural Connecticut Broadleaf
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Filler: Nicaragua
- Length: 5 1/4″
- Ring Gauge: 50
- Wrapper: Nicaraguan (Natural)
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Appearance Notes:
The appearance of this Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX is a bit rougher than I like but that’s what I get for being in a hurry at the shop. The Cabaiguan Maduro RX has some tooth with a big vein running through the full length of the cigar. With only a light sheen and the José Pepin Garcia triple cap. There is a small scrap of tobacco at the bottom almost looking like a repair but could be just a scrap. Personally I think the shade is amazing especially when you think Connecticut wrapper. I am starting to get into the flavors of the broadleaf overall and may search some shops for others out there (I also liked the Patel Bros. which is a Pennsylvania broadleaf). When checking the firmness of the cigar I found no soft or spongy spots it had a consistent firmness throughout the stick.
So I wanted to try the whole toast then cut then light since with past Cabaiguan Maduros they have had a nearly perfect draw. So grabbing my Firebird cutter and AB Burner I headed out to the porch to give it a go. It ended up being a pretty good experience, I toasted and once it was glowing red I gave it a nice snip and took my first puff. The draw was exactly what I expected, nearly perfect with a slight drag. There was a ton of smoke which is right where I like it.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Notes / Flavors:
- This smoke had some great flavors with a nice sweetness, cream some grassy notes and finally some toasted earth.
- From there the second third continued till the end of the cigar with some sweet, creamy notes and a bite of toasted earth.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Ash Info:
- Overall the ash was a light yellowish-gray with dark gray waves with a slight flowering.
- I ended up cracking the first ash off at two inches.
- The second ash I cracked off at around two and one half inches.
- After that I smoked it to the end.
The burn was a little wavier than past Cabaiguans I have smoked but it didn’t really affect the flavors of the cigar. The balance was nearly perfect with some good complexity. I would have to say this is a medium bodied smoke with some great flavors coming from the wrapper. Toward the last inch it got a little too hot to hold and I ended up letting it burn out.
Now while this cigar could be a little cheaper IMO it is still a good buy and is worth grabbing a stick or two to try. This is the type of smoke I would have no problem buy a box of. It would be a great every day smoke and would disappear from my humidor very quickly.
Tatuaje Cabaiguan Maduro RX – Additional Info:
- Weather: Sunny
- Temperature: 67 degrees
- Humidity: 38%
- Start Time: 4:15 PM
- End Time: 5:00 PM
- Relights: 0
- Nicotine Levels: Barely Noticeable
- Impurity Buildup: Low Toward The End
- Buzz: Medium High