Since I didn’t get to smoke over the weekend I decided to pick a cigar I am pretty familiar with to review. The Tatuaje Verocu Tubos is probably one of my favorites from the Tatuaje brand.
[singlepic id=83 w=320 h=240 float=]
Review – Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu Red Tubo:
- Acquired: Purchased @ B&M
- Store: Cigar Castle – Tampa
- Price: $11.00
- Brand: Tatuaje
- Series: Verocu Tubos
- Shape: Torpedo
- Wrapper: Nicaraguan (Natural)
- Filler: Nicaraguan
- Binder: Nicaraguan
- Nicaraguan Puro
- Length: 6 1/8″
- Ring Gauge: 52
I purchased this one from the Cigar Castle in Tampa about a week and a half ago (02/19/2010). I now tend to heavily inspect my cigars (unless I am in a real hurry) and this one had no noticeable imperfections. The color was a chocolate brown with a very light sheen and firm construction with no spongy spots at all. The pre-light aroma had notes of earth, leather & cream.
I ended up using the Firebird V-Guillotine to cut off about a quarter of an inch from the cap to where it had a perfect pre-lit draw. From there I grabbed the burner and toasted it until it was lit. From the start the smoke volume was what should be expected from a premium cigar, a lot.
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubos – Notes / Flavors:
- The first third started with a mild chili pepper (almost a Sriracha taste), leather, coco sweetness and oak notes.
- The second third kept with the above flavors starting with the mild chili pepper but had stronger notes of oak then leather and finally the coco sweetness.
- The final third still had the mild chili pepper but changed again to bring the sweetness to the front with leather and oak following. A low amount of impurities started to build toward the last two inches.
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubos – Ash Info:
- Overall the ash was a very light gray with light-to-medium gray streaks.
- I ended up cracking the first ash off around two inches, it actually still felt pretty solid when I broke it off.
- The second ash I cracked off at around two and one half inches and again it felt pretty solid.
- From there I smoked it to the end leaving about one inch to where the smoke wasn’t hot but my fingers were.
As far as value is concerned the Tatuaje Verocu (Red) Tubos could be cheaper but I think it does live up to the $11.00. The Tatuaje Verocu Tubos is a cigar I would recommend quite easily. While it’s not for everyone at the 11 dollar price point I would still say that you should give it a try at least once. I personally could see myself buying a box of these in a heart beat.
As far as the red & black Tatuaje tubes are concerned the red at $11 is a much better buy than the black at $14. I would also say the black is a little overpriced for what you get and should be closer to the $9 price point.
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubos – Additional Info:
- Weather: Clear
- Temperature: 55 degrees
- Humidity: 73%
- Start Time: 6:20 PM
- End Time: 7:30 PM
- Relights: 0
- Nicotine Levels: Barely Noticeable
- Impurity Buildup: Low
- Buzz: Medium High
- Aftertaste: One Hour After Finishing & Just A Little Spiciness.